Certification/Registration Standards for Play Therapists
HOW CAN ROCKY MOUNTAIN PLAY THERAPY INSTITUTE HELP YOU ACHIEVE CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION?
In North America there are three routes to choose from to become a Registered or Certified Play Therapist. The Association for Play Therapy (APT) route, which offers the designation of a Registered Play Therapist (RPT), is shorter in terms of training, supervision and practice hours, and gains access to a large internationally recognized professional organization. The Canadian Association for Play Therapy (CAPT) offers the designation of a Certified Play Therapist (CPT). The British Columbia Play Therapy Association (BCPTA) offers the designation of Registered Play Therapy for practitioners in British Columbia. RMPTI encourages membership and involvement with all organizations!
APT Route: To become a Registered Play Therapist (RPT) with the Association of Play Therapy (APT) one of the requirements is to complete 150 hours of approved training. The Green Stream: Foundations of Play Therapy, combined with the Red Stream: Advanced Play Therapy Theories and Techniques, provides 150 play therapy training hours. These programs are offered in 2 parts and meet the content requirements for APT.
CAPT Route: To become a Certified Play Therapist (CPT) with the Canadian Association for Play Therapy (CAPT), Canadian standards require 180 hours of play therapy training from a CAPT Approved Provider, or from an institute of higher learning. Participants who intend to become Certified Play Therapists should take the Green Stream Foundations of Play Therapy (75 hours), Red Stream: Advanced Play Therapy Theory and Techniques (75 hours) and the Yellow Stream Yellow Stream Certificate in Sandplay with Special Populations (30 hours). These three courses fulfill the 180-hour training requirement.
BCPTA Route: To become a Registered Play Therapist (BCRPT) with the British Columbia Play Therapy Association (BCPTA), Canadian standards require 180 hours of play therapy training from a BCPTA, CAPT, APT Approved Provider. Participants who intend to become a BC Registered Play Therapist need to consult with BCPTA to ensure acceptance of the Green Stream Foundations of Play Therapy (75 hours), Red Stream Advanced Play Therapy Theory and Techniques (75 hours) plus Yellow Stream Certificate Program Certificate in Sandplay with Special Populations (30 hours) for application for Registration. All Masters level courses offered by RMPTI are accepted by BCAPT for continuing education credits.
NOTE: RMPTI is not a registering body for play therapists. Rather, RMPTI provides approved training. APT, CAPT and BCAPT alone hold the right to accept or deny any continuing education training at their discretion. For details on being registered with the 3 main bodies, see the links below.
The main play therapy certifying organizations list specific criteria for meeting the goal for becoming a Certified/Registered Play Therapist. All of our training programs have been approved by these organizations. Rocky Mountain Play Therapy Institute ensures program content continues to meet the certifying organizations’ expectations.
There are a number of criteria to be met to earn the credential of Certified /Registered Play Therapist:
- Master’s degree in the area of mental health (psychology, social work, counseling).
- Licensure as a mental health practitioner (i.e. belonging to a professional organization).
- Specific core credit courses as part of your degree (or in addition to the degree). This includes: Child development, theories of personality, principles of psychotherapy, child and adolescent psychopathology and legal, ethical and professional issues.
- Clinical Experience (working with children) 2000 – 2500 hours
- Play Therapy Training (150-170 hours)
- Supervision of your play therapy hours (50 hours – 150 hours)
See the Play Therapy Organization sites for applications and specific criteria:
Canadian Association for Play Therapy – CAPT
The Association for Play Therapy – APT.
British Columbia Association Play Therapy Association – BCPTA
Rocky Mountain Play Therapy Institute can help you to achieve your Play Therapy Training requirements in the following 3 ways:
- By enrolling in the Green Stream Foundations Program and the Red Stream Advanced Play Therapy Program you will gain 150 hours of certified play therapy training. The content meets the expectations of the major play therapy certifying organizations. The hours do not expire, and participants can accumulate training hours at their own pace. Most of the Yellow Stream Specialized Programs can be completed to add play therapy hours for ongoing Continuing Education requirements. These programs vary in length from 1 to 3 days and some have an on-line component.
- RMPTI can provide Certified/Registered Play Therapy Supervision. Supervision can be done individually in either a face-to-face or distance format (through Zoom). You can also join a supervision group. Specialized play therapy supervision helps you grow as a play therapist. For more information on supervision please click here…
- If you have achieved a Play Therapy Certification/Registration and you would like to work towards becoming a Play Therapy Supervisor, RMPTI offers the Blue Stream Play Therapy Supervision Program. This program allows you to study the critical content and theory related to becoming a Play Therapy Supervisor and to try on numerous supervision activities essential to this important role.