Yellow Stream: Certificate in Portable Play-based School and Outreach Counseling
Special Interest & Advanced Practitioner
This certificate program can be taken as a stand-alone specialized training for those wishing to explore this play intervention/modality. You do not require a Master’s degree to enter this program. However, due to the focus on play-based strategies and techniques, as applied to special population/referral issues, as well as a developmental approach (understanding developmental stages as represented in play),previous workshops/training in play therapy is strongly encouraged.
The Certificate in Portable Play-based School and Outreach Counseling offers 21 contact hours of approved/certified training. This certificate program is part of RMPTI’s fully integrated training program continuum, as it builds on the integrative approach to play therapy introduced in the Green Stream, with an emphasis on theory, techniques and applications to specific referral issues.
The program addresses specific topics related to school and outreach counseling. Participants will have the opportunity to engage in experiential activities that are easy to implement in the school setting. The portable play therapy bag will be introduced and participants will receive training on the use of play-based strategies from a wide range of modalities (puppets, sand, clay/expressive art, etc.).
The primary goals of this program are to introduce play-based and expressive activities as a way to work with children in schools and outreach/community settings, and to enhance therapist awareness of clinical judgment in selecting, tailoring and implementing treatment activities. Case vignettes focus on common referral issues in school and community-based settings.
- Introductions & Course Objectives
- Group Exercise
- Possibilities & Challenges in Using Play Therapy in Schools
- Play Therapy – Definition
- Approaches to Play Therapy
- Play Therapy Dimensions Model
- Exercise – Play Spaces & Play Objects
- Introduction to the Portable Play Therapy Kit
- Play Modality #1 – Puppets
- Play Modality #2 – Clay
- Discussion – Power of play; use of symbols & metaphors
- Warm-up Activity – Feelings Flyer Game
- Use of Symbols & Metaphors
- Understanding the Directiveness continuum
- Experiential Exercise “My Play Style”
- Play Modality # 3: Therapeutic Games
- Play Modality #4: Art Making
- Play-based group work in schools
- Experiential Exercises
- Discussion: Client Moderating factors & Therapist Mediating Variable
- Play Modality #5: Therapeutic Storytelling
- Play Modality #6: Sandplay
- Play Modality #7: Music & Movement
- Play-based classroom interventions
To provide school-based counselors portable tools for working in school settings and to assist them to work with mild to moderate adjustment problems.
Upon successful completion of the course each participant will have gained:
- An introduction to play-based activities suitable for use in school and community outreach settings
- An opportunity to work with play objects in the portable play therapy bag
- An introduction to working with groups in the school
- An introduction to working with whole classrooms using play- based activities
- Play-based engagement skills
- Ways to connect and work with classroom teachers
- Experiential activities
- Video clips
- Case examples
Participants will receive a Certificate confirming the completion of 21 hours of specialized play therapy training approved by APT (Approved Provider #06-179), and CACPT. All training hours count toward certification or registration as a play therapist.
A certificate is awarded on the basis of:
- Satisfactory attendance (no whole module may be missed unless there are extenuating circumstances. A makeup assignment may be requested depending on time missed).